With the support of an active volunteer Booster club, Southwest High School supports four men's soccer teams that roster a total of 80 players: Varsity, Junior Varsity, Sophomore and Freshmen. The Southwest Men's Lakers are three-time Minneapolis Conference Champions (2013, 2014, and 2015) and in 2013 and 2014 also made appearances in the Minnesota State High School Tournament.
The men's soccer program is directed by Jamie Plaisance, a 1992 Southwest graduate. This academic year, 2017, marks Coach Plaisance's 21st year of coaching at Southwest, and his 15th year as the head coach. Coach Plaisance heads a staff of 6 coaches for the four men's teams.
STAYING IN TOUCH
Southwest-Soccer.com is your resource for the latest news for the team. Please check it frequently as it will update during the season.
- If you have not done so, all players and parents need to sign up on our contact sign-up page. We use the information gather here to send emails to players and parents for volunteer opportunities.
- Subscribe to your team's calendar on your mobile device or computer. Subscription instructions are below.
- We have created team pages (Varsity, Junior Varsity, Sophomore, and Freshman) which has the specific team calendar, a tentative season schedule and coach contact information. Please make sure to check your team page.
Participating in Southwest Lakers Men's Soccer is fun and a great way to become involved in your school. Volunteering with the Men's Soccer Boosters provides parents the chance to meet other Southwest families and to be involved in the Southwest Soccer community.
THE SOCCER SEASON
- For most teams the soccer season begins in mid-August with tryouts, and ends the first week of October.
- The Varsity team participates in post-season sectional playoffs and possibly the state tournament, which goes through the end of October.
WHERE GAMES ARE PLAYED
- Varsity home games are played at the Southwest Stadium.
- All other teams play home games at Armatage Park, unless noted specifically on the schedule.
- On Super Soccer Saturday, all teams will play throughout the day and evening in the stadium.
- Away game locations are posted on each team's schedule.
TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM GAMES AND PRACTICES
- Players are expected to arrange their own transportation to and from all practices and home games.
- School buses are used for transportation to away games, and leave from SW High school at a time designated by each team's coach. Buses return to SW High School after the game.
- Coaches expect team members to travel together to and from all away games.
- Players who wish to leave a game with a parent or another adult must submit a written request to athletic director Ryan Lamberty 48 hours in advance of the requested transport time. Requests must identify the adult doing the transport and must demonstrate extenuating circumstances why the player cannot ride the bus back to SWHS.
- Once tryouts have been completed the team coach will determine a final practice schedule, however, practices typically take place from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for game days.
- The freshmen and sophomore teams practice at Linden Hills Park.
- The Varsity and JV teams practice at Lynnhurst Park.
- Players are responsible for their own transportation to practices, and may not, in any circumstances, ride to and from practice with a SWHS coach.
- Keep track of your team's practice schedule by regularly checking the team's calendar on this webpage.
PARTICIPATION FEES AND FORMS
- The Minneapolis Public Schools charges a sports registration fee for all sports. For soccer the fee is $60.00. This fee, along with the registration form, should be submitted to Athletic Director, Ryan Lamberty, at the Athletics Office at SWHS by August 1st. FALL SPORTS DAY is August 1st from 3pm - 5pm at the SWHS Gym. You'll find all forms and information about registration on the SPORTS PHYSICALS Post on this website, or in the IMPORTANT DATES section.
- This SWHS Sports registration fee is refundable, partially or entirely, upon request, in the event you are not placed on any of the SW teams.
- In addition, the Southwest Men’s Soccer Boosters expects all players to contribute $125.00 to the Booster Club ($200 per family if more than one child plays for men’s or women's soccer at SW).
- Participant fees fund some critical components of the program, including, but not limited to some coaching salaries, buses, referees, and some equipment. The participation fee makes it possible for the Booster Club to support a full high school soccer program with four squads, offering the widest possible opportunity for participation.
- We understand that this may be a financial stress on some families. If you are unable to meet the contribution level, please email Rebecca Skoler (email@example.com). Again, no one will be turned away for lack of funds.